Line, Please...

A couple of weeks ago, I watched the American Film Institute's 100 Years, 100 Movie Quotes show on Bravo, in which they counted down their Top 100 favorites movie lines of all time. The quote at the top of their list was from Gone With The Wind, "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

OK, not one of my personal favorites, and I can see how it topped their list, but it's just not something that I ever heard any of my friends say, and like all gay men, my friends love to quote from movies.

And that started me thinking.

I went back to the AFI list and scanned it for famous movie quotes that I've actually heard gay men repeat in my presence.

No. 7: "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Check

No. 72: "No wire hangers." Oh, yes.

No. 99: "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" More times than I could count.

But still, overall, only around ten of the AFI's "all time most famous movie quotes" are lines that I can ever recall have heard spun out by the queens. Gay men don't ever EVER say "Say hello to my little friend." (Scarface) We say things like, "Get away from her, you BITCH!" (Aliens). We prefer our movie lines to be clever, catty, and importantly, cunty. And above all, spoken by a female. (Or at least, a man dressed like a female.)

So what would a list called Gay Men's 100 All Time Favorite Movie Quotes look like?

Let's make one.

I'll start with my personal Top Ten, and you good folks drop in with your own favorites. This is just for the gay boys, remember....unless your fag hag status is truly bona fide. After a week or so, I'll compile the responses from the comments and post the list. Don't worry about repeating a quote that someone has already mentioned, be true to your favorites.

1. "Did IQ's drop suddenly while I was away?" - Sigourney Weaver, Aliens

2. "It looks like a penis, only smaller." Bernadette Peters, Pink Cadillac

3. "What more can they do to me?" Madeline Kahn, What's Up, Doc?

4. "Don't you act for me!" Diana Scarwig, Mommie Dearest

5. "You most certainly ARE retarded, Taffy. - Divine, Pink Flamingos

6. "5000 dollars? It's not even leather!" - Joan Cusack, Working Girl

7. "All gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve." - Olympia Dukakis, Steel Magnolias

8. "Cavier should be round and hard and it should explode in your mouth at precisely the right moment." - Goldie Hawn, Overboard

9. "I kill with my cunt." Anne Carlise, Liquid Sky

10. "I love him so mu-uh-uch!" - Holly Hunter, Raising Arizona

Now, you.

100+ comments below

Blog Archive