Please Hold, Your Police State Will Arrive Shortly

Over the last 24 hours, I've received about a dozen incredulous emails, contesting my story about nearly being arrested for photographing the Citigroup Building. Let's top that story. Here's a picture of the cop who threatened me with arrest last year for taking a picture of the UNITED STATES Mission to the United Nations. I was standing on the sidewalk in front of the UN. On a public street. In New York City.

When I protested, saying that it was a public street and that surely the building could easily be photographed by the thousands of foreigners in their offices across the street, I was told something to the effect of "Keep yapping and it'll be Monday before you see daylight." (Actually, I can't recall his exact words, but I do remember them being very New York-y.)



That was a year ago and I'd bet that if I mouthed off like that today, I'd wind up in handcuffs. Also, I don't think that today I would be so bold as march directly across the street and take a picture from the other side, in full view of the cop, which is what I did.

Blog Archive