Chicks Flick Dicks

In 2003, Dixie Chicks lead singer Natalie Maines quipped during a London concert that she was "ashamed" that George W. Bush was from her home state of Texas, prompting me to start paying attention to their music, which I'd previously ignored, as I do with most of the largely inauthentic "country" music that's out there Twaining across the airwaves.

The new single and video from the Chicks, Not Ready To Make Nice, is validating my late to the fan party arrival. Watch the video, here. It's one big "Fuck You" to the Amerikkkans that deluged the Chicks with hate mail and death threats after Maines' 2003 ad lib. I'm not sure I would have made the blood for oil mental connection, had I heard the song without seeing the video, but wow, the imagery is powerful, yet elegant. And the Chicks look stunning, particularly Maines.

The best moment of the song and video is when Maines lets loose with this:

I made my bed and I sleep like a baby,
With no regrets, and I don't mind sayin'
It's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her,
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger.


And how in the world can the words that I said,
Send somebody so over the edge,
That they'd write me a letter sayin' that I better,
Shut up an' sing or my life will be over?


The Dixie Chicks new album, Taking The Long Way, comes out on May 23rd. Aaron pointed out to me that the album is six weeks away from release and it's already #26 on Amazon's sales chart, surely it will debut at #1 on Billboard. Go Chicks, go.

Blog Archive