How Unser celebrates victory over alcohol

The more you understand about any subject, the more interesting it becomes. As you read this article you'll find that the subject of what alcohol can do to a career without a rehab program or medical help is certainly no exception.


Unser celebrates victory over alcohol
By MIKE HARRIS

INDIANAPOLIS --Al Unser Jr. laughed when he was asked if he would be nervous before going out to qualify today for the Indianapolis 500.

Unser is among about 13 drivers expected to compete for the 11 positions remaining in the 33-car field for the May 27 race.

"Heck, that's the least of my worries right now," said Unser, bumped from the lineup last Sunday, the second of four days of time trials. "I think we'll be just fine."

Most important right now to the 45-year-old two-time Indy winner is that he remains clean and sober.

"I've been down a long road with alcoholism," Unser said Friday, "It's 113 days today, the longest I've been without a drink since I was 16. I feel like I'm in my 20s. As the days go by, it feels better and better."

In 2002, Unser first underwent treatment for alcohol abuse after his girlfriend - now his wife - said he hit her in the face while drunk in Indianapolis. Prosecutors did not file charges against him in that case.

"I went 56 days without a drink after that," Unser said. "Even though I learned what I learned in that rehab, I refused to believe it. It finally overcame me again."

The relapse got Unser in trouble again.

Those of you not familiar with the latest on what alcohol can do to a career without a rehab program or medical help now have at least a basic understanding. But there's more to come.


He faces a trial July 11 after entering a not guilty plea to charges that include driving under the influence, misdemeanor hit and run, failure to render aid in an accident and failure to report an accident, all the result of a January crash in Henderson, Nev.

His wife, Gina, urged Unser to seek medical help and that, in turn, has led to a renewed commitment to recovery.

To give himself an even stronger sense of purpose, Unser has joined forces with a national initiative, "LIVE outside the bottle," that educates the public about the need for addressing and treating alcoholism.

"I definitely want to help," he said. "This program teaches people what alcoholism is, first of all, and it motivates them to get help. I really believe I can help people on a large scale.

"I'm just so happy, and I'm living proof you can live outside the bottle."

Unser said it was just a happy coincidence that he got a call from team owner A.J. Foyt about 30 days into his sobriety.

"I wanted to drive, but I really hadn't contacted anybody through the winter months," Unser said. "Than that (legal) issue I had in Nevada came up and I thought, 'That's it for '07.'

"At that point, I knew I had to come to grips with it. I said, 'I've got to come out of it, treat this disease seriously and admit I can't pick up one more drink.' I started down that road and, blam, A.J. Foyt calls me."

Source: SunHerald.com
It never hurts to be well-informed with the latest on what alcohol can do to a career without a rehab program or medical help . Compare what you've learned here to future articles so that you can stay alert to changes in the area of what alcohol can do to a career without a rehab program or medical help .

Blog Archive