Joshu Sasaki Roshi...Zen Master, not!

I was thrilled to encounter a profile of the celebrated Zen Master, Joshu Sasaki Roshi, in the New York Times.

After all, Mr. Roshi is a considered one of the leading "Masters" in Zen Buddhism, today.

Each spring and fall, his followers meet at retreats - dressed in long-flowing robes, striving to attain "emptiness" - and live in the "now".

No mean feat, for a mortal man, in the Western World.

One hundred years old and in full control of his faculties - he is quite possibly one of the leading spiritual teachers in the World - alongside His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Earlier this year, I attended a retreat in San Francisco, founded by another celebrated Master (Shunryu Suzuki) - an authentic - who contributed a lot of insight into the ancient scriptures until he passed into spirit.

As I perused the article, it dredged up my own mystical experiences with a handful of the imposters, now in charge of that Buddhist center in downtown Frisco.

Yes, before I could lament - misguided meditators - I quickly discerned the Buddhist "temple" was overrun with carry-overs from the trippy-hippie age, a mishmash of displaced scary egos, and a handful of odd Zen enthusiasts who wouldn't know a "Master" if he bit them on their stuck-up noses.

When I noticed that the "alleged followers" were bent on mind-boggling, exhausting ritual - and prone to squander the precious sacred teachings in the process - I was inclined to beg the question of the chief honcho in the Buddhist residence.

Why do you bow nine times before the altar?"

"To show our respect," the disciple of the sect haughtily whispered.

"Well, you can do that with one bow," I calmly replied.

"After all," I quickly added, "Buddha was just a man, not a God.

Frankly, I doubted the "great one" would approve of their actions.

As I witnessed them sitting on their high platforms, on a multitude of plush cushions, I recalled that what I scoffed.

"The true Master sits in the lowest place."

Ah, that's when it hit me.

In the New York Times, the reporter noted that Joshu Roshi practised in the manner of the "old school".

For instance, he assigned each student a "Koan".

For example, he gifted the seeker with a baffling question pointing at some ultimate truth like, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?

Later, he allegedlyl met privately with each student four times a day, and offered up a daily lecture (teisho) from a high seat in the center of the Hall.

Yes - by virtue of the Zen teacher's actions - I was able to discern that Roshi is not the "enlightened one" he purports to be.

After all, the true "Master" squats in the lowest place, not on highest.

Funny that!

During the retreat at the Buddhist Temple up north, Master Suzuki (he wrote the best-selling book "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind") made a revelation to me in a uniquely mystical way.

While sitting comfortably cross-legged in the meditation room one afternoon, a door - previously shut tight - sprang open and swung slowly in my direction.

Then, a voice in spirit, whispered to me at that precise moment.

"The door is open, when you're ready."

Indeed, Suzuki's presence was wandering the solemn joyless halls.

In fact, a curious phenomenon occurred at least several times a day, verifying his displeasure about what was transpiring at the center.

For example - the windows and doors slammed open and shut all hours without warning - and in furious regularity - which was an obvious omen to me.

The priests poohed poohed the idea that it was Suzuki's spirt.

"It was just the wind, " they'd insist as they looked at me askance.

But isn't Buddha also the wind?

The message was crystal clear.

Master Suzuki was angry (!) and unhappy (!) about the way the master disciples were "running" things.

I departed, the wiser - they, the sadder - for having exposed them for who and what they were...a pack of righteous phonies, without souls, caught up in the ritual of "ego", without a clue about the wondrous mysteries of Zen.

They say, when you're ready, the Master will appear.

For me, it was Christ.

For others, it may be Roshi.

If so, the cult is trying to crack the wrong "Koan".

Their spiritual leader is either a false prophet - or has a long journey ahead - to attain Buddahood.

Blog Archive