Tracey Ullman...State of the Union; new show, Showtime!


At long last Tracey Ullman has a new show - "State of the Union" - to preview on Showtime!

At press time it was noted that Ms. Ullman will be playing a wide array of characters - well-known celebrities, politicians, a homeless street person - you name it. She'll undoubtedly accomplish the task in her own inimitable style.

On what is expected to be a wild romp each week, Ms. Ullman will explore a handful of topical issues that take a satirical poke at life in America - the trend towards foreign adoptions (by those who shall remain nameless) or the farce of airline security, for instance - while showcasing Ullman's insightful gift for revealing truisms we're often too embarrassed to acknowledge.

Years ago when I was pounding the pavements for work I cajoled casting directors into landing me spots on two of Fox's big hits - "The Tracey Ullman Show" and "In Living Color".

In spite of the fact I'm not black, I managed to weasel my way into a skit with the "Brothers Brothers", for instance.

Since those heady days when the mention of "In Living Color" pops up in idle chit-chat, I jokingly laugh that I was a token white on the hit variety show. Actually, I was in a scene with Jim Carey before he soared through the roof to mega-star status. Can I be far behind?

There was also an opportunity to work with Ms. Ullman a short time later, too.

The hits kept coming.

In a Christmas special I played a postal worker caught up in the merriment of Tracy's antics as she does a sort-of striptease to "Santa Baby" in the back room at the staff party.

A laugh riot.

Friends occasionally call me up and excitedly gush that they caught me on an old re-run. Yeah, I'm stuck in syndication heaven.

And, thanks to the cable God, I still look about 30!

I wish Tracey well with her new offering.

I understand the reviews have been mixed, but we'll see.

I mean, you either love her or hate her, eh?

Blog Archive