$3.00 doughnuts in Beverly Hills...hole, extra!







Occasionally I stroll through the Farmer's Market in Beverly Hills to snap up a handful of vegetables and fresh fruit.



Oftentimes, the bluesy strains of a live ensemble charm, as they echo throughout the festive pedestrian-filled street.



Recently, I spied a tasty-looking doughnut in a display case from one of the neighborhood bakeries, and was inclined to stride up and ask the clerk to slip one into a bag for me.



When he told me the price, my jaw dropped!



"$3.00, please."



The folks in Beverly Hills must be out-of-touch with reality. A hop-and-a-skip away in West Hollywood or West Los Angeles the same little sugar-packed treat costs a paltry 75 cents.



I passed on the purchase - probably would have given me indigestion anyway - but the incident triggered a memory of an old song we used to sing as kids.



It goes somethin' like this:



Oh, I went to Toledo

And I went around the block

And I stepped right into a bakery shop

And I gave the lady a five-cent piece

And she took two doughnuts out of the grease

She looked at the money

And she looked at me

She said, "This money is no good to me"

"There's a hole in the center, I can see right through"

Said I, "There's a hole in the doughnut, too!"


Blog Archive